Job Title: Breeding analytics scientist
Division: Research and Technology
Department: Rice Breeding
Reports to: Breeding Manager
Location: Hyderabad, India
FLSA Status: Exempt
RiceTec is seeking a talented individual with a passion for innovation to fulfill the new role of quantitative genetics scientist.The successful candidate will become a member of RiceTec' s global research organization. RiceTec is a global leader in rice seed technology and as a member of the global research organization, the candidate will work in a multidisciplinary team responsible for discovery, development and commercialization of new genetics, traits and technologies that directly benefit rice farmers worldwide, rice consumers, and the environment. The role will be located at the RiceTec station in Hyderabad, India.
This position will support multiple aspects of the product development pipeline and will primarily coordinate the application of quantitative genetics, genomics and prediction, and statistical analysis to breeding decisions, help optimize breeding schemes, and supportproduct advancement proposals. Examples of activities the chosen candidate will undertake within the scope of his work are: collaborate closely with scientific leadership headquartered in the US, support the deployment of advanced experimental designs, genomic prediction, and enterprise breeding data management software. Support hybrid and varietal breeding teamsby helping apply advanced metrics like GEBVs, variance components, and measures of GxE to advancement decisions and breeding strategy determination. Evaluate modifications to the breeding strategy through simulation; optimize data collection and management workflows,analyze and interpretcurrent fieldexperiments and evaluate long-term trends in historical data. Assist indefiningstrategies to strengthen future data sets; and contribute to a global community of practice for breeding analytics.
The person filling this position must perform well in a team environment, have excellent English language, verbal and written communication skills, and possess clear potential for rapid growth and learning. This position represents a full-time, career opportunity in an exciting, dynamic environment serving a broad range of research and development needs of a Life Sciences Company.
1. Participate in a global community of practice for breeding analytics and breeding process/pipeline optimization.
2. Help develop, test, and deploy of novel analytical approaches that can integrate environmental, phenotypic and genomic data, support predictive breeding efforts and improve the rate of genetic gain of Indian breeding programs.
3. Optimize and alignbreeding and testing activities for experimental design, check selection, trial location selection, high quality data collection, and reporting yield trial outcomes with global strategies.
4. Support the development of high-quality data workflows to ensure data collection, distribution, and recording are aligned with global best practices and provide datasets suitable for analysis.
5. Provide performance and diagnostic indicators such as breeding values, reliabilities, rates of genetic gain and variance components as required,including summary and interpretation of these metrics prior to advancement.
6. Analyze, interpret, and reportpatterns of genotype x environment interactions and support the integration of this information with the testing strategy.
7. Support thetesting, deployment, and specification development for data pipeline components and front-end applications that enable improved decision and analytical processes.
8. Use advanced mathematical models to deliver insights, recommendations, and solutions to accelerate genetic gain in breeding programs.
9. Other duties as assigned.
1. PhD in Breeding and Genetics (Plant or Animal), Quantitative Genetics, Biometry and Statistics, or related field with strong knowledge on plant genetics and breeding.
2. Master's degree in Breeding and Genetics (Plant or Animal), Quantitative Genetics, Biometry and Statistics, or related field with at least 5 years of plant breeding analytics experience in an industry setting.
3. Experience with linear mixed models, Bayesian analysis strategies, and/or genomic prediction in plants or animals.
4. Experience with breeding simulation tools and systems supporting genomic research, modeling genomic, phenotypic, and environmental effects, and prediction models.
5. Proficiency in analytics tools (such asR, Python, ASReml, etc.) and Microsoft Office tools.
6. Project management experience, with the ability work independently and to drive projects to completion.
7. Proficiency in solving complex problems with creative and effective solutions.
8. Ability to occasionally travel overnight.
9. Ability to work in a matrix environment, work collaboratively while leading & influencing people at varying levels of responsibility and forming strong partnerships.
10. Proven ability to interpret and communicate complex quantitative analysis in clear, precise, and actionable manner.
11. Ability to prioritize and deliver across requests from multiple teams and individuals with shifting priorities, strategies, and timeframes.
12. Drive for continuous improvements and critical thinking which can be translated into research initiatives and reporting outputs that deliver business value.
13. Effective foresight, planning, prioritization, and organizational skills.
14. Excellent English language communication skills, both written and verbal and the ability to explain complex statistical principles to non-experts.
15. Ability to work in rice field growingand greenhouse environments and exposed to outdoor weather conditions including extreme heat and wet or humid conditions.
1. Experience with large hybrid plant breeding datasets, and/or approaches for estimating and accounting for genotype x environment interactions, understanding of animal genetics and breeding.
2. Skills and experience working with multidisciplinary research and field teams.
3. Aptitude to work with a sense of urgency, to identify and overcome obstacles, take necessary risks; balance big picture concerns with day-to-day activities.
4. Ability to recognize trends in metrics leading to new insights for improvement.
5. Ability to identify and satisfy the needs of internal customers and continuously search for ways to provide value-added solutions.
6. Ability to work in a diverse, multicultural environment collaborating with colleagues in the Americas and Asia.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Title: Market Development Manager-Full Page
Reports To: Project Lead Full Page
Who are We?
Savannah Seeds -subsidiary of Ricetec Inc.-drives sustainable food production through rice seed technologies and makes a positive impact on farmers, employees and stakeholders. Formed with the assets from Farms of Texas Company, Ricetec has been developing rice products since 1988. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, Ricetec was founded on the premise that modern, technology-based breeding techniques, combined with a broad, diverse germplasm collection, can efficiently develop and economically produce superior rice seed products. Savannah is a young and vibrant Company. Within 9 years of starting operations in India now Savannah is largest rice seed Company in the South Asia region.
1. Responsible for successful scale up and adoption of technology with target acreage in the area of operation
2. Conducting Full Page and DSR technical trials and developing agronomic recommendation suitable for local conditions
3. Data recording and analysis
4. Organize Full Page farmer field demonstrations in target geography with proper recommended agronomy
5. Showcasing the technology performance on demonstration plots to all key stakeholders
6. Develop comprehensive list of concerned stakeholders in his area of operation/territory
7. Organize events for showcasing technology demonstrations to stakeholders
8. Trade partners (distributor/dealers) & farmers in collaboration with Sales and Marketing teams
9. Government officials of concerned states to build positivity about technology
10. Concerned University scientists in collaboration with Tech Support team
11. Building relationship with concerned State Agri University and other Ag institutes in area and obtaining positive recommendations for FullPage technology
12. Local media/newspapers and electronic media
13. Technical Training of sales team to promote the technology
14. Collaboration with marketing team for developing key communication points, value proposition, required promotional material & activity plan for field.
15. Develop a group of service providers with drill and spraying machines for better planting and weed control efficiency and faster adoption
16. Responsible for Product Stewardship in operating geography
1. Master's in agriculture preferably Agronomy
2. Experience - 4-5 years in relevant field
3. Knowledge and experience of herbicide trials and DSR practice of Rice
4. Good communication and inter-personal skills